The BIOPHARMACEUTICALS ARD Programme is a research programme created in 2014 to promote partnerships between academics and industries in the field of biopharmaceuticals in the Centre-Val de Loire region of France. Financed by the regional council, this programme aims to accelerate, where possible, the biotechnological transition of the regional pharmaceutical sector by means of promoting, supporting and assisting its development. It offers resources to foster competitive scientific innovation in the field of therapeutic antibodies and beyond (protein therapeutics and vaccines, synthetic biology, bioproduction).
LE STUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies: Across a series of different research programmes and an annual call for applications, the Smart Loire Valley Programme, LE STUDIUM attracts, selects and welcomes experienced international researchers into public and private regional laboratories for long-term residencies and organises scientific events and networking actions enabling the development of sustainable international collaborations and scientific interdisciplinary exchanges. LE STUDIUM offers an unique outward-looking and stimulating pluri-disciplinary scientific and international community.
In the framework of the BIOPHARMACEUTICALS Programme, LE STUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies is recruiting an experienced scientist specialised in the endocrinology and pharmacology of gonadal functions.
The successful candidate will be invited for a one-year LE STUDIUM RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP. The position will be based at the Physiology of Reproduction and Behaviour (PRC) unit, a mixed research unit of the Centre INRAE Val de Loire in Nouzilly, the University of Tours, the National centre for scientific research (CNRS), and the French horse and riding institute (IFCE).
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH CONTEXT
The host laboratory, the BIOS team of the PRC research unit, actively participates in the BIOPHARMACEUTICALS Programme through a broad scope of projects including ARD CVL, Région Centre-Val de Loire, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, ANR, MRC and ERC.
The successful candidate will be part of the funded ARD CVL research project SELMAT: In silico methods for antibodies selection and maturation: development, validation and application to different therapeutic targets.
The research group currently leads projects aiming at i) developing pharmacologically active nanobody-based biopharmaceuticals targeting G protein-coupled receptors (GPCR) involved in the control of reproduction and of social interactions and ii) in collaboration with our industrial partner MAbSilico, at devising innovative in silico methods improving the discovery and development of such reagents.
To support the project, more particularly the evaluation of our recently developed nanobody-based biopharmaceuticals in vivo on female reproduction, the PRC unit is seeking a highly motivated scientist with experience in the field of reproductive endocrinology and pharmacology. Previous experience with GPCR targeting, signalling, phage display technologies and/or antibody engineering would be highly valuable.
Other established collaborations with industrial partners and academic research teams can be further discussed during the interview process.
MISSION OF THE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The successful LE STUDIUM candidate is expected to be creative and to produce original work and leadership during her/his 12 month-residency. The BIOS team is currently composed of 15 permanent staff and 18 PhD students, post-docs and research engineers.
The mission of the research scientist will consist in providing his/her expertise in reproductive biology and physiology in order to set up the in vivo phenotyping and the efficacy evaluation process to the highest standard. Another key aspect of the project will be to investigate the correlation (or lack thereof) between the in vitro pharmacological profile of each compounds, the pharmacokinetics of its administration and the efficacy/toxicity.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
LE STUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies is looking to recruit a senior researcher profile with:
- Significant track records in the field of reproductive and/or GPCR biology
- Demonstrated expertise in the evaluation of complex physiological/pharmacological paradigms
- Experience in phage-display technologies, antibody engineering
- Experience and motivation for team work and ability to establish fruitful scientific exchanges with researchers, students and actors from different technical and scientific cultures;
- Research experience in the field of study, able to innovate and interact with diverse stakeholders including industry;
- Proven ability to participate to the whole research chain from the definition of the experimental set-up, preparation of samples, data collection, data analysis and communication of results to both academic and non-academic audiences;
- Strong organisational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work, manage time effectively and deliver results on time;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including abilities to make clear and concise presentations but also to participate to fast publication of latest results;
- Ability to initiate new projects/concepts in the field of interest.
Applicant researchers will:
- Be in possession of a Doctoral degree and at least five years of full-time equivalent research experience after PhD;
- Be national or long-term resident of a country other than France. Long-term residents are researchers who spent a period of full-time research activity of at least 5 consecutive (without breaks in research) years in a country other than France;
- Comply with the following mobility rule: applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, etc.) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline of application.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The position is based in Nouzilly (North of Tours), France and offers 12 consecutive months of residency.
The successful candidate will be welcomed into the BIOPHARMACEUTICALS Programme, the PRC research unit and the LE STUDIUM faculty of international research fellows working in the Centre-Val de Loire region. The research fellow will be provided with the necessary means of work (laboratory facilities, office, telephone, internet, access to databases, computer tools, etc.).
The scientific working languages are French and English.
Entitlements detailed in the French labor contract of employment include:
- A personal salary under a French labor contract;
- Rental costs of a fully furnished apartment for the candidate and her/his family. Utilities (water, heating, electricity, internet, local tax) have to be paid by the fellow;
- Logistics and administrative assistance by a member of the LE STUDIUM operational team before and during the fellowship (visa, housing, bank, insurance, schooling…).
CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION
The deadline for application is February 28th, 2022. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.
The position is expected to be filled during the last quarter of 2022
The application shall consist of three elements:
- A completed online LE STUDIUM application form with personal information and details of track records;
- A curriculum vitae of maximum two pages including information not in the online application;
- A motivation letter.
Upload documents as pdf files.