The French laboratory Conditions Extrêmes et Matériaux : Haute Température et Irradiation - CEMHTI (Extreme Conditions and Materials: High Temperature and Irradiation) has high-level skills in the field of spectroscopy (XRD, Raman, NMR, and IR). It has developed and implemented aerodynamic levitation and applied this technique to spectroscopy. It is also perfecting the methodology to perform viscosity measurements. The host team (Refractory Material: Design and Corrosion) has a long experience in the field of refractory corrosion and is developing methods for in situ monitoring of phase changes due to corrosion. Corrosion kinetics plays a key role in design of new and optimized refractory material involving raw materials and refractory producers. Industrial applications are numerous: manufacture of high-temperature materials, waste incineration and biomass gasification. Today, the group studying refractory corrosion at CEMHTI intends to strengthen its skills and its knowledge of corrosion kinetics or of viscosity by recruiting a top-level scientist in one of these topics.
MISSION OF THE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
LE STUDIUM fellow should be a leader either in heterogeneous kinetics modelling or in the study of molten oxides viscosity. Depending on his/her background and skills, the selected applicant will work on one or both of these two topics, which are outlined below. The successful candidate will benefit from the international scientific environment of Region Centre-Val de Loire and work under the responsibility of CEMHTI (UPR3079 CNRS) in the team of Prof. Jacques Poirier, in Orléans, France.
1. Study of the reaction kinetics
The laboratory has developed an in situ experimental method for quantifying the products of high-temperature corrosion. In addition, the laboratory plans to perform corrosion tests associated with the Diffabs beamline at the SOLEIL Synchrotron. The recruited person will take part in the high-temperature XRD analyses setting and in modeling of the reactions: thermodynamic and kinetics.
2. Study of the viscosity of molten oxides
The CEMHTI has developed various devices based on aerodynamic levitation, for more than 15 years. It is currently developing an aerodynamic levitation setup to measure viscosity and surface tension of liquid oxides at very high temperatures. The viscosity can be also evaluated from the diffusion coefficient using Stoke-Einstein equation. The diffusion coefficient will be measured by studying the liquid dynamics at neutron sources (quasielastic neutron scattering). Experiments will be performed at the Institute Laue Langevin (ILL). The recruited scientist will contribute to the development and setting of the experience and to the modeling of the composition-dependent viscosity and surface energy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
- To perform research in the field of refractory corrosion, in a strong multiphysics environment
- To contribute to the improvement of the experimental method for reaction kinetics identification or thermophysical properties measurement
- To contribute to modelling
- To publish results obtained from experiments and modelling
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The position is intended to attract experienced candidates with at least five years but preferably ten years postdoctoral. The candidate will work within a research group dedicated to refractory corrosion, especially kinetics or viscosity. The successful candidate for this position will have a PhD with extensive experience in refractory corrosion and will be an experienced researcher.
Required skills are:
- Experience in refractory material
- Able to work independently
- Strong organizational and time management skills - able to prioritize work, manage time effectively and deliver results on time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make clear and concise presentations and prepare compelling grant proposals
- Team-oriented and capable of working in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary environment
- Fluent (both spoken and written) in English – French language could be an advantage
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The position is based in Orleans, France and offers a non-renewable term of one year. To be eligible, applicant researchers must be national or long-term resident of a country other than France. Long-term residents are researchers who spent a period of full-time research activity of at least 5 consecutive (without breaks in research) years in a country other than France. A selection committee working according to European Union Charter for Researchers will independently assess applications. The successful applicant will be encouraged to start from June 2016 with some flexibility over starting dates.
Entitlements detailed in the contract of employment for the fellowship, include:
- A monthly gross remuneration,
- The rental costs of a fully furnished apartment adapted to his/her family situation. Utilities (water, heating, electricity, local council tax) remain at the charge of the fellow.
- A contribution to a private medical protection scheme for all health costs complementing the French basic social security protection,
- Administrative assistance for all matters related to integration in France (schools, cultural, social and sports activities, income taxes…)
- Logistical and technical assistance for travels and housing.
Work hours, vacation and travelling expenses are bound by the same regulation as those effective for the personnel of the host laboratory. An agreement details mutual obligations and provides guidelines for activity reports, intellectual property and confidentiality. The appointed Fellow will participate in the activities of LE STUDIUM Faculty of Fellows, which are present in the region Centre-Val de Loire.
A member of LE STUDIUM operational team will assist the incoming fellow in all matters to make her/his experience in the region Centre-Val de Loire successful.
Conditions of application
Deadline for application is 30st of June 2016
Please make your application online on LE STUDIUM website – Apply section. (Link below)
- Enter your candidate information
- Complete the online application form
- Upload your resume (no more than 2 pages) and motivation letter